Traveling with friends can be a great way to spend time with your favorite people while sharing the cost of a vacation. For those of you with long-distance friendships like ours, it can also be the perfect way to reconnect!
Since we’ve had the pleasure of travelling together a couple of times, we thought we’d share some of our tips and ideas for vacationing with friends. Enjoy!
- Set a budget. When planning a vacation with friends, you want to find a space that’s comfortable for everyone—especially when it comes to price. Find out what each person/couple would ideally like to spend and then settle on the details. Sometimes the duration and even the location of your trip will be determined by how much everyone can spend.
- Have a game plan. Before you go, set expectations for the trip. Decide if you’ll be splitting up for different activities, meeting for meals, etc. Everyone may not want to do the same things one hundred percent of the time, so get everyone on the same page ahead of time to avoid any awkward moments or hurt feelings.
- Come prepared. Earlier this week, we mentioned the importance of doing research when planning a vacation. Have everyone make a list of things to do, places to eat, and so on. That way you will have plenty of options to pick from and won’t have to waste your time together trying to find something to do. Just remember to mind your manners and take turns when choosing activities or restaurants!
- Share the load. Vacations aren’t always fun and games—they can take a little work. If you’re staying somewhere that requires you to do a lot of your own cooking, divide up the meal responsibilities. And when it’s time to leave, split up any necessary cleaning tasks. For example, it’s common to be asked to run the dishwasher and start a load of laundry before leaving a vacation rental. Make sure everyone chips in!
- Be patient. We know this probably goes without saying, but it’s so important! If someone gets the directions wrong, forgets to bring something, or takes forever in the bathroom—always be patient and understanding. You came as friends and you want to leave that way, too! ❤
Sounds simple enough, right? If you follow these tips, you and your friends are guaranteed to have a good time! All you’ll have to worry about is finding the perfect roadtrip playlist!
Speaking of good times, here are some of our favorite types of vacations to go on with friends!
- Mountain Cabin: Renting a cabin in the mountains is perfect for people that love to cook, enjoy the outdoors, and don’t get stir-crazy in the middle of nowhere. Try Asheville or Gatlinburg.
- Beach House: A beach house is a safe bet for groups that love the sand, surf and sun, and are okay splitting up for different activities. You don’t have to go anywhere if you don’t want to, but there’s usually restaurants and bars nearby for those that like to venture out. Try Bradenton Beach or the Outer Banks.
- City Condo: This vacation is a must for people that love pounding the pavement! Whether in search of art and culture, or wanting to check out the nightlife, a city condo is perfect for groups that don’t plan on being inside much. Try Atlanta or New York.
Have you traveled with friends before? What are some of your favorite destinations? Leave us a comment or tag us on Instagram, @238milesapart.